Biographies

Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring Chickens!

It's Springtime, and we all know what that means! Our chickens should be putting out in the whole 'egg' department. At this point, I'd say they're doing a so-so job. I can't blame them too much, though...I mean, these girls are getting old.

Our Golden Girls: Neko, Penny and Nickel

So we did what any egg-needy family would do: we got more chickens. Yes I am aware that eggs are sold at farmer's markets and in stores all over town, but we prefer to eat eggs from our own back yard. That way we know what's going into them: broccoli stalks, leftover pasta, the occasional uneaten taco, toast crusts, and all kinds of fun food that would otherwise be wasted. That's right - we turn our kitchen scraps into eggs. It's a miracle!

We were all extremely delighted about getting some new chicks because let's face it, people...baby chicks are adorable! The only member of our family who wasn't so sure was our dog, Mesa. Upon first meeting the babies, she immediately tried to eat one. I'm guessing she thought it was a tennis ball and just wanted to play, but either way we quickly made it clear that these were not snacks and were not to be eaten or tossed around for fun.

Then we set to work helping her understand that these were her new sisters and she needed to love them. Gently.

Look! A new friend!

Mesa wasn't sure if she was allowed to come near. She was like, "is this a trick? Are you holding out this treat for me and then you're not going to let me eat it? What's wrong with you?! YOU'RE A MONSTER!"

Friiieeeeends!! 

"I don't know, man. This seems fishy. How do I know I can trust you? I mean sure, that's my nature because I'm a dog, but come on lady. That thing looks delicious. What is this 'friend' thing you speak of?"

Friends...?

"Just because I'm coming closer doesn't mean I'm going to love this damn thing."

Friends!

"I mean, it's cute and all, I'll give you that. And so fluffy! Heh, listen to it go 'cheep cheep' like that. Jeez, adorbs, amiright?"

OKAY I LOVE YOU AND YOU'RE MY BFF!
"I love her! I love her so much! *kiss*!"

Now Mesa is thrilled to have three new sisters to hang out with in the back yard once they've grown enough to join their bigger brethren. How Neko, Penny and Nickel are going to feel about these wee babes once we introduce them is another story. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment