Biographies

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Baby Steps

Late Saturday night, December 1st, Finn took his first steps.  Both Erin and I saw him do it.  I immediately grabbed my iPhone, hit the 'weather' button, cursed, hit the 'camera' button, slid it over to video, and caught the following moment...


We Bairdsmiths aren't ones to perform on command so you'll just have to take my word for it.  He totally walked.  This got me thinking about Liam's recent milestones, so the next morning I recorded him showing off one of his new tricks.  Okay, sometimes we Bairdsmiths do perform on command, but when we do it's very quietly so you might have to crank up the volume if you want to hear this one...


Yes, reciting your ABC's is more of a two-and-a-half-year-old's milestone than a three-and-a-half-year-old's, yes, Liam has a "developmental delay", yes, he's in a special education program three days a week and he's doing great, and yes, all of this will one day make for one of those interesting and ironic prologues to the biography of his life, like Einstien failing math or Madonna being named after a virgin.

Or, I should be taking a more hard-lined approach to Liam's recitations?  Should I be stoking the embers of his burgeoning mind with a red hot poker?  I'm sure Leopold didn't build blanket forts with baby Wolfie, am I doing it wrong?  I think I heard an "Elmo pee" in there right before he got a little dreamy look on his face.  Is he messing with me?  Plus there was a bit too much whimsy in his singing, right?  I shouldn't stand for that kind of nonsense.  That's it!  No more of this ABC's bullshit.  It's all "Baa-baa Blacksheep" from hear on out.  The sobering reality of Medieval English wool taxation should wipe the smile from his insolent (sweet) little face.

No comments:

Post a Comment