Biographies

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Holiday

Compulsory Seaside Shot of Hot Wife
This weekend Erin and I spent two nights in Mendocino.  It was our 8th wedding anniversary and an extra paycheck month so romance was a GO.  I won't give any details about the weekend because this isn't that kind of blog if you know what I mean (aaaaand cue Erin's eye roll).  I will tell you that leaving your kids with their grandparents is apparently a great way for them to reach a couple of milestones.

Liam used the potty four times and Finn now sleeps all night.  Yeah, I get it.  I'm doing it wrong.

Well, it's not really that I'm doing it wrong, I'm just not doing it, period.  By "it" I mean I'm probably not really trying to get these kids to progress in ways that are easily measurable.  

I'll admit the sleeping one kicks ass.  Since he was just a wee little eighty pound newborn we've been swaddling Finn.  The idea with swaddling as I understand it is it makes newborns more at ease because they're used to being crammed super tight in utero so wrapping them up makes them sleep better.  However, the past few months Finn pulls this little Houdini act every three to four hours and celebrates his liberation by screaming until we wrap him back up again.  While we were gone this weekend though Erin's mother tossed the swaddle, flipped the little nugget over on his face, and said nighty-night for 10 straight hours.  Cool.

The potty one kind of pisses me off though (pun intended).  Who does Liam think he is getting all potty trained just like that?  I figured it was hyperbole on the part of my in-laws so I tested him the first morning I got back.  I plopped him down and started putting my contacts in when I heard that little tinkle.  He had this look on his face that said, "oh THIS, yup, this is what I do now".  The bastard.

Compulsory Mocking of Bad Public Art
I guess I've gotten a little complacent with the milestones.  Or maybe I just don't want them growing up.  Anyway, it was a great weekend away.  If you're a parent and you can't remember the last time you woke up and realized with smug satisfaction that your kids were someone else's problem for a full day, I highly recommend making plans.



1 comment:

  1. They never miss an opportunity to make us look bad, our kids. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete