Biographies

Monday, April 29, 2013

Unhitched

Just a little over 15 years ago I convinced a girl to like me. A really cute girl, way out of my league. Not just as a friend, like we'd been for the previous year, but like me like me. It was huge.

In the years that followed, this amazing girl taught me about wine which became my career, brought me to Healdsburg which became my home, and then married me and had two sons which became my family. She introduced me to everything in life that I cherish and hold dear. God only knows where I'd be without her.

We were kids when we first met, just 21 and 22 years-old. In a way, we grew up together, but we didn't exactly grow in the same direction. We were like two roads running parallel for a little while then, at some point, diverging just a bit. Not a lot, just at a gentle angle. The problem is, when two people travel down diverging roads long enough, you eventually find yourselves really far apart.

We tried to find one another again, we really did. Therapy wasn't the answer for us. For my part I'd recognized that I was spending my life with a brilliant, funny, gorgeous woman with an incredible sense of humor and a heart of gold, so the idea of breaking up wasn't on the radar...until it was.

I read this article and I shared it with Erin. We both agreed we felt like it was written for us. It resonated. If you really want to know why we're breaking up (Don't make that face! Tuck your bottom lip back in and unwrinkle your forehead!!) you should read the article.  Here is the link.

So that's us. We're doing fine and accentuating the positive. It's a rare break-up in that it's sincerely amicable and mutual. We're just getting through the tough parts now and are devoted to making ourselves, and our beautiful sons happy. I'm inexpressibly grateful for those boys for so many reasons, not least of which is the fact that because of them, I'm guaranteed to always have a relationship with Erin. I still don't know what I'd do without her.

Neither of us is likely to talk too much about our split, but it's good to note (before the rumor mill starts turning) that there was no big "blow-out". No one is leaving the other. In fact, no one is even leaving town. We're both on the same page: Just a little heartbroken, but very hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment