Biographies

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Shotgun Finn Turns One

Just last night at the preschool's monthly 'parent meeting' Teacher Julie taught us all about Birth Order.  She broke us parents up into groups of first borns, last borns, and middlers.  Then she asked us a series of revealing questions.  The first borns fell over themselves trying to impress the teacher with their brilliant personal insights, the last borns wallowed in ambivalence, and us middlers relied on sarcasm and humor to avoid answering anything honestly.  

It was a timely topic because today is the one-year anniversary of the legendary birth of Shotgun Finn, our last born.  If you haven't heard that story you can check it out HERE.  His last born-ness is already taking it's toll.  When Liam turned one I hadn't started the blog yet so I have no record of his birthday party to share, but that's just as well since anyone reading this was probably at the party.  Everyone was there.  His first birthday party was a rager.  There were a dozen kids or so, pinatas, party favors, games, food, drinks, and mayhem.

Finn's birthday party?  Not so much.  My in-laws came over and we had pizza and cupcakes.

I'm trying not to feel too bad about it.  It's not like anyone remembers their first birthday anyway, right?  After that meeting last night though I've decided I need to be more conscientious about the attention we give Finn.  I think with just one baby in the house it was easy to dote on every milestone because we were just sitting around all day, watching Liam grow up.  But now, with a three year old in the house, downtime is a luxury.  I can't say for certain when I noticed Finn crawling.

Sure, there are going to be some inevitable differences in Liam's first-to-do-everything childhood and Finn's hand-me-down childhood, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, right?  

Sometimes, as a parent to young kids, I feel just as new to this world as they are.  I have no idea what I'm doing 99% of the time...and I think that's being generous.  I just hope that doesn't mess them up too much.

Happy Birthday baby Finn!!  I can't believe I've only known you for one year.  You make it so easy to love you like crazy.  I hope that's enough.  If it isn't, I at least hope you remember the cupcakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment